Here's a few key stats and facts on B certification and B Labs:
- A B corporation is a new type of company which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.
- B Corp certification is awarded by a non-profit organisation called B Labs.
- B Corp certification is to sustainable business what LEED certification is to green building or Fair Trade certification is to coffee.
- You have to take a 200 question B Impact Assessment, and score 80 or above.
- The goal: to redefine success in business.
- Instead of just focusing on profit (the traditional purpose of a corporation has beento maximize profits for the benefit of its shareholders), B corporations define success in broader terms. For them, success is not only private, and not only about profit. Instead, they want to create public benefit. This can be social, environmental etc
- B corporations are similar to "benefit corporations"—a legal definition which is important in US business law (The Future Is Already Here understands that this is not important in other places: a Conervative member of parliament, Nicholas Hurd, told us it wasn't necessarry under British law)
- There are now 1,247 B Corporations in 38 Countries across 121 Industries.
We believe B corporations are the future of business. So, two questions for you:
- Is yours a B corp?
- Could you become a B Corp? Take the B Impact Assessement to find out how you're doing already. (You can get a snapshot in 20 minutes.)